Heartbroken mum of lad, 17, left for dead in garden says ‘life will never be the same’

The heartbroken mum of a 17-year-old boy who died after he was found in a garden with serious injuries have said “life will never be the same”.

Callum Riley was found badly injured and laid outside a property in Atholl Drive in Rochdale, Greater Manchester on Saturday morning.

One man said he had heard screams at around 4.30am before he found the teen and desperately tried to perform CPR to help him.

Callum died a short while later, and police have since made several arrests including a 25-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder and a 23-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

The pair were arrested on Sunday following the arrests of two men, aged 18 and 33, who were also arrested on suspicion of murder on Saturday.

In a statement released by Greater Manchester Police, his mum said: “Callum was a strong and caring young man, loved so deeply by his family, friends and his girlfriend.

“His love for his mother and his brothers was immeasurable.

“A lovely lad, with a good heart, protective of his family and always the best of intentions. Stolen away from us far too young in life.

“He will be forever missed, and remembered with love. Life will never be the same again.

“As a family we ask for the respect and privacy whilst we come to terms with this huge loss in our lives.”

His dad added: “Callum was a much-loved son, brother and uncle. He was a loving caring young man who never failed to make us laugh.

“He will be sadly missed by us all. In death as you were in life, unforgettable.”

Callum was affectionately known by his friends as Russell due to his likeness as a child to a TV character.

A local man who had tried to revive Callum, told Manchester Evening News: “I heard a load of screaming at 4.30am.

“We heard a scream for help and looked outside the bedroom window, but we couldn’t see anything.

“Half an hour later we heard a scream for help again. We just heard screaming, all we could hear was ‘help, help’.

“It wasn’t until when it was lights out, when someone knocked on and said there was a man in a garden. I went in the garden and I called police and they asked me to perform CPR on him.

“It’s a sad thing, a young lad.”

Police patrols in the area have been stepped up while officers continue to investigate at the scene.

Detective Chief Inspector Gina Brennand, of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “Our thoughts remain with Callum’s family, who we are liaising with via a specially trained officer. Our investigation is very much ongoing and we are continuing to appeal for information.

“Officers from the Rochdale district will be providing a visible presence in the coming days to reassure members of the public – anyone with concerns can approach them.”